[molpro-user] How to build parallel Molpro 2012.1.0 with GA-5-1-1

Martin Diefenbach diefenbach at chemie.uni-frankfurt.de
Sat Nov 17 20:14:42 GMT 2012

Reuti,

in principle, a build with GA5/MPI-2 using ifort/MKL and Infiniband works
for us with the following:

BLAS_LIBS="-L${MKLROOT}/lib/intel64 -lmkl_rt -lpthread -lm"
LIBMPI="$(mpif90 -show |sed -e 's/^ *[[:graph:]]* //')"
#
# ga-5-1
#
./configure \
     CFLAGS="-DLARGE_FILES" \
     CC=icc F77=ifort CXX=icpc \
     --with-blas8="${BLAS_LIBS}" \
     --with-mpi="${LIBMPI}" \
     --with-openib \
     --prefix=${PREFIX}/ga
cp config.log ${PREFIX}/ga

#
# molpro-2012.1
#
./configure \
   -batch \
   -prefix "${PREFIX}" \
   -blaspath "${MKLROOT}/lib/intel64" \
   -openmpi \
   -mpp \
   -mppbase "${PREFIX}/ga" \
   -ifort \
   -icc

If ga-5 is built with "native" compilers (not with the mpif90/mpicc
variants) the variables are set explicitly in ga-5's config.log, which in
turn is then read into molpro's configure, also including CMPPINCLUDE for
mpi.h. The -openmpi flag helps if OpenMPI is used (I guess for mvapich2
and others this is different).

We do, however, see serious problems under certain circumstances,
especially for Hybrid OpenMP/MPI builds (./configure -openmp ...), and for
mvapich2 with slurm (srun is process manager, not hydra), the reason for
which at least in our hands is not easy to track down.

Best
Martin

--
Dr. Martin Diefenbach
Institut für Anorganische und Analytische Chemie
E-Mail: diefenbach at chemie.uni-frankfurt.de