[molpro-user] How to build parallel Molpro 2012.1.0 with GA-5-1-1

Andy May MayAJ1 at cardiff.ac.uk
Thu Nov 29 15:03:33 GMT 2012

Regarding the GA build/install directory, these do not need to be the
same, but must still both be present. When you configure Molpro you need
to point -mppbase to the source/build directory, not the install
directory. This way, as you have discovered, it can find config.log,
which contains many useful things and also allows it to find it's way to
the install directory. Copying config.log to the install directory might
be a good solution too.

For the questions:

1. This should be true, and Molpro does not directly call MPI to
initialize the environment or shutdown in this case. Any code developed
inside of the Molpro project is calling the Molpro parallel wrappers,
which will not call MPI routines in this case.

However, some code was developed outside of Molpro, directly calling MPI
routines. To allow this code to work, without asking the authors to
extensively modify their code to call Molpro wrappers, these routines
continue to directly call MPI routines. In the case of GA-TCGMSG-MPI, we
know that MPI is available, so these calls are exposed and mpi.h is
required. This is obviously also true in MPI-2 and GA-MPI builds. In the
case of GA-TCGMSG then these calls are not exposed and that code runs in
serial mode.

2. All 3 types of GA builds should now work with Molpro, and also
without GA at all (with MPI-2 library), i.e. with -auto options:

-auto-ga-tcgmsg
-auto-ga-tcgmsg-mpich2
-auto-ga-mpich2
-auto-mpich2

Regarding building GA with mpif90/mpicc, unfortunately the variables in
config.log that contain the MPI linking flags etc. don't get set. The
information is there in other variables but difficult to extract.
Although the mpicc/mpif90 wrappers are intended to be convenient,
generally most configure scripts immediately try to determine the
underlying compiler in order to know which compiler flags can/should be
used.

Best wishes,

Andy