[molpro-user] noncanonical orbitals in CCSD-F12

Mariusz Radon mariusz.radon at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 10:23:02 GMT 2013

On 02/16/2013 10:59 PM, Kirk Peterson wrote:
> Dear Mariusz,
>
> I'm interested in what the real experts have to say, but we have used pseudo-canonical orbitals (from CASSCF) in CCSD-F12 before and they (seem to) work fine. The "trick" is to pass the orbitals through a single iteration of the HF program in order to get some of the information that Molpro requires for F12, e.g.
>
> {multi;canonical,3100.2}
> {hf;maxit,1}
>
> I'm not sure if this same procedure is valid for KS orbitals though.
>
> best regards,
>
> -Kirk

Dear Kirk,

thank you very much for your reply.

I have tried to perform calculation according to your suggestion (i.e.,
something like: {ks,b3lyp}, then {hf;maxit,1}, followed by
{ccsd(t)-f12;orbital,ignore_error}).

Unfortunately, it seems that Molpro always performs at least 3 HF
iterations (even if maxit is set to 1 or 0, or -1)....
Consequently, the wave function provided for subsequent CC calcs is
neither KS nor HF determinant, which seems to give very
unreasonable final energy. Relative energies obtained from such
calculations are also clearly wrong (for my system I have a number of
reliable, non-F12 CC calculations to compare with).

But, intriguingly, when I carry out CCSD(T)-F12 right after DFT
(w/o HF in between), the relative energies look very good, and rather
close to CBS limit from extrapolated conventional calculations.
I wonder whether F12 routine in Molpro can somehow complete the missing
information, even if HF program was not called before F12?
Or am I obtaining "good" results by pure accident?

Best regards,
Mariusz