[molpro-user] The smallest exponent that can be used to specify a basis function

Jeff Hammond jhammond at alcf.anl.gov
Tue May 7 19:10:08 BST 2013

While I have no specific expertise in the Molpro code, I cannot
foresee a circumstance where this is anywhere close to numerically
stable in any quantum chemistry code that computes with double
precision numbers.  It would not surprise me if most integral codes
were unstable for exponents less than 1e-3 (again, double precision is
assumed), but this is just speculation.

If you want an orbital for an unbound electron, you should use an
appropriate basis function rather than trying to hack a plane wave
from a gaussian.

Best,

Jeff