[molpro-user] Strange results FCI for scandium atom

Peter Knowles KnowlesPJ at Cardiff.ac.uk
Wed Nov 27 14:17:07 GMT 2013

Dear Lorenzo,

All that happens with wf,spin= in FCI is that you specify the S_z quantum number of the Slater determinants that form the basis;  it does not use a basis of configuration state functions that are eigenfunctions of S^2 as well. Therefore there is no reason why you must see doublet when you specify spin=1 - you can get quartet as well. Your results in symmetry 6 are 2D, 4F, 4F.

If you change to spin=1,sym=4;state,3 you happen to get 2D, 4F and something else. I'm afraid that the algorithm for choosing which states to track is not so sophisticated for the case that there is non-abelian symmetry, and you can be lucky or unlucky as to whether states of higher symmetry do or do not couple in.

Peter