[molpro-user] simultaneous treatment of states with different spins and symmetries in multi-state CASPT2 and MRCI‏

Peter Knowles KnowlesPJ at Cardiff.ac.uk
Fri Oct 25 07:38:06 BST 2013

The simple answer is that in both CASPT2 and MRCI, a linear equation system is solved. This means that different symmetries (spatial or spin) are not coupled and therefore separate calculations can be done for each symmetry. This is in contrast to state-averaged MCSCF where the energy functional whose minimum defines the orbitals comes from several states of different symmetry.

There is, however, a slight complication: the contracted multireference pair basis that defines the wavefunction is dependent on the reference function, and sometimes one wants to explicitly define a basis that is the union of those arising from several reference states of the same or different symmetries. See http://www.molpro.net/info/2012.1/doc/manual/node280.html and the relevant literature.

Peter