[molpro-user] selection of CAS

A.Zech at stud.uni-heidelberg.de A.Zech at stud.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Sep 5 10:03:37 BST 2013

Thanks for your reply. I'm fairly new to Molpro so please excuse if i
missed an obvious solution to this problem.
Yes, i do know which orbitals to swap (6.2 and 7.2, respectively).
Including the 6.2 orbital into CAS (i.e. 1.2 to 6.2) results in a
lower energy than moving that orbital out of the active space (i.e.
CAS(6,6) = 1.2 to 5.2, plus 7.2).Thus the orbital in question always
gets rotated back during wavefunction optimization. With a slightly
distorted geometry (Cs, one angle changed by 0.001 degrees), i tried
the DONT directive to turn off the optimization, but i only get as
close as 0.1eV to the corresponding energy in C2v. I'm convinced that
the ROTATE directive is the best strategy here. Is there a way to keep
the CAS orbital selection (after ROTATE) constant during the
wavefunction optimization?

Best regards,

Alexander Zech

Provided you know which orbitals you want to move in/out of the active
space, this can be achieved with the ROTATE directive - see
http://www.molpro.net/info/2012.1/doc/manual/node240.html
Peter