[molpro-user] CASPT2 sudden exit with out printing any error message

G Mahesh gmahesh at students.iiserpune.ac.in
Fri Sep 5 12:27:21 BST 2014

Dear Users

I'm performing a caspt2 calculation for a triplet ground and excited state
with 4 state averaged (S0, S1, T1 and T2) casscf wave function as reference
for caspt2 single point energy but, it is stopping suddenly and exiting
with out printing any error message (have copied the end part of out put).
For some calculations it was exited after some iterations of CASPT2.

Here is the part of the input

memory,1000,m
 gprint,orbitals=5
 symmetry,nosym
 geometry={
---
}
 {multi
 occ,41
 closed,28
 wf,72,1,0;state,2
 wf,72,1,2;state,2
 maxiter,40;
 }

 {rs2c,shift=0.3,maxiti=200
 state,1,1
 wf,72,1,2
 maxit,100}

 {rs2c,shift=0.3,maxiti=200
 state,1,2
 wf,72,1,2
 maxit,100}

Partial out put

 Number of internal configurations:               736164
 Number of singly external configurations:     246614940
 Number of doubly external configurations:       8629935
 Total number of contracted configurations:    255981039
 Total number of uncontracted configurations:36317526245
-----

I guess it's not the issue related to memory exceeds total system memory.
we have 438 Gb of memory per each node and I have asked for 128 Gb of memory

/dev/sda1              16G  3.2G   12G  22% /
tmpfs                  32G     0   32G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda5             438G   49G  367G  12% /state/partition1
/dev/sda2             3.9G  283M  3.4G   8% /var

Should I have to increase the memory? I hope I'm not making any silly
mistake in my input.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Mahesh