[molpro-user] DFT-SAPT and CCSD-SAPT for homodimers

Tatiana Korona tania at tiger.chem.uw.edu.pl
Tue Oct 4 11:27:24 CEST 2016

Dear Leonid,

In principle you are right about a waste of time by calculating monomer
properties twice when monomers are identical, Note however that monomers are
usually calculated in a dimer basis (or monomer-plus some functions on another
monomer basis), and in general they are not identical for two reasons: 1)
monomer positions wrt to each other are not equivalent (most cases if monomers
are something more complicated than atoms), 2) even if they are equivalent, for
degenerate MOs (say px and py pair) a transformation would be necessary in order
to obtain properties of the second monomer in a common basis set, what is tricky
in general. Therefore in all programs known to me identical monomers are
calculated twice. It is simpler and safer.

Best wishes,

Tatiana