[molpro-user] Isotopologue VSCF with Potential from PESTRANS

Guntram Rauhut rauhut at theochem.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Jul 11 12:54:06 CEST 2017

Dear Dennis,

actually, what you are doing is the proper way of doing it and you
cannot avoid the 3 transformations of the potential. Let me explain
this: The SURF program calculates the potential in term of grid points.
As you want to compute isotopic effects you need to span the potential
in terms of the new mass-weighted normal coordinates. This can only be
done once an analytical representation of the potential is available.
Therefore you need to transform the grid representation to a polynomial
one with the POLY program prior to the call of PESTRANS. For technical
reasons PESTRANS always provides a grid representation. At this point
(after the call of PESTRANS) you may decide what to do. You can use the
grid-based VSCF and VCI programs directly, which means that you may
avoid the POLY call after the PESTRANS program. However, as the
polynomial based VSCF/VCI programs are usually much faster, it is
advantageous to call POLY again (as you do) and run then the polynomial
based VSCF/VCI programs.

Looking at your input I realized that the call of the VRC card is not
consistent. Once you do not put it as an option to the SURF program,
VRCs are not calculated. As a consequence, they cannot be used later on.

I hope, this helps,

     Guntram

  Apl. Prof. Dr. Guntram Rauhut
  Institut f. Theoretische Chemie