[molpro-user] calculation procedure for vibrational normal mode in molpro

ZOUWL qcband at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 12:07:53 CEST 2017

Hi,

i) No. A mass-weighted normal mode is the eigenvector of mass-weighted
Hessian, which is not useful from a user's point of view. Most of the
frequency calculation programs print mass-unweighted normal modes, but
CFour is an exception.

ii) If I understand you correctly, you are asking whether the above
mass-unweighted normal modes are renormalized to 1.0.
The answer depends on the programs. In Gaussian and Q-Chem: yes; Molpro and
GAMESS: no.

To better understand the three kinds of normal modes, please see the source
codes of my UNIMOVIB program
https://github.com/zorkzou/UniMoVib

Best,
Wenli