[molpro-user] Unclear problem in EOM-CCSD calculations: "small eigenvalue of S-eff matrix ... This can lead to convergence problems!"

Evgeniy Gromov evgeniy.gromov at pci.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Jun 21 11:34:04 CEST 2017

Dear Tatiana,

Many thanks for your response. While struggling with the problem I
increased the integral accuracy (to 1dE-20) as well as
the accuracy for the T1+T2 amplitudes (to 1dE-12) . However, this did
not help. Concerning the Davidson, the default
20 vectors per state should be OK because the problematic state is
actually the lowest one. It is in fact a doubly degenerate (E')
state, that is there are two states of A' (the molecule has C3h
symmetry, the computational group is Cs).
I do not think the problem relates to degeneracy, as other, higher-lying
degenerate states converge smoothly.
The problem occurs only at the EOM-CCSD level,  at ADC(2) everything is
fine. I also tried EOM in CFOUR and it is
the same. I am stumped with what can be wrong with that state.
I wonder what one could look at (print out) to trace the problem back?

Best regards,
Evgeniy

E-mail:evgeniy.gromov at pci.uni-heidelberg.de