[molpro-user] PNO-LMP2 optimizations fail with basis set errors

Hans-Joachim Werner werner at theochem.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Oct 25 10:21:44 CEST 2017

Dear Matthias,
you need to give the DF-basis sets on the command lines:

df-hf,basis=jkfit
df-lmp2,basis=mp2fit

Otherwise it will not use what you specified in the basis block.

The pno-lmp2 program has no analytical gradients and your calculation would compute the gradient by finite energy differences.
However, the pno-lmp2 does not fix the domains, and this can lead to completely wrong gradients.
In fact, the geometry optimization with your input does not converge (this problem will be fixed in the next version, molpro2018.1).
For the time being, I recommend to use the old pao-lmp2 program, which does have analytical gradients:

df-lmp2,basis=mp2fit

And finally: unless you have a recently patched version, you should not use „orient,mass“ in geometry optimizations. This is a tough case to optimize. Use

optg,method=bmat

and it converges in 40 iterations (final energy -604.75843996). bmat is usually the best optimization method, but if there are redundant
internal coordinates it can get into an infinite loop. We are trying to fix this problem.

Best wishes
Joachim

---
Prof. Dr. Hans-Joachim Werner