[molpro-user] MPI error: Reply to Christan Stemmle

Nike Dattani dattani.nike at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 03:54:27 CEST 2018

Dear Christian,
Your error looks to be exactly the same as the one described by Hans
Hogreve in the link you sent. Since you have an error with the MPI
Broadcasting, can you tell us what MPI library was used when you installed
MOLPRO? FCIQMC is parallelized with MPI, so at the stage where you got this
error, it's trying to send a copy of some data to all cores that you have
available. This data delivery (MPI broadcast) is done by the MPI library
that was used to build your version of MOLPRO. The installation manual says
"Intel MPI, Bull MPI, MPICH2, and Open MPI have been tested", so if you can
check that you're using one of these, and the versions are compatible with
everything else that was used, you might find the source of your problem.

Alternatively, if you turn off MPI and try on a single core of a single
node you should not get this error, but the calculation will be
approximately a factor of N slower where N is the number of cores you have
available, because the speed-up when going through the loop over
determinants in FCIQMC is (almost) linear in N, and you would be losing one
of the main benefits of FCIQMC.

With best wishes!
Nike