restarting a multi calculation

Falcetta_Michael Falcetta_Michael at roberts.edu
Tue Aug 14 14:24:35 BST 2001

Can someone point me to an example input (or give me pointers) on how to
do an mcscf calculation, save the orbitals in one job to a permanent
file and then in a separate job to use those orbitals as the starting
guess for a multi calculation (let's say at a slightly different
geometry) for molpro2000.1.  I understand how to string multiple
calculations into one job/input, but for several reasons I want to be
able to do this as two completely separate jobs.  I have tried something
like the following (I am only showing the relevant parts)

First job:

File,2,test.wfu    				!make file 2 a permanent
file
multi;wf,4,1,1;core,1,0;occ,3,1;canorb,2140.2;	!Run multi and save orbs
on 2140.2

Second Job:

File,2,test.wfu    				!make file 2 a permanent
file -- info in test.wfu should be
accessible?
multi;wf,4,1,1;orbital,2140.2;			!Run multi and start
with orbs from 2140.2
core,1,0;occ,3,1;canorb,2140.2;

The first job runs fine, (and a file test.wfu is created of a size of a
few hundred kb's) but the second job does not seem to find the orbitals
and so starts from the atomic densities.  In addition to the above
approach, I have tried several permutations including:other options on
the file card (unknown, old).  I have also tried using the old (but
apparently obsolete) "restart,2" card (the program crashes saying it
can't find the record).  I am stumped and can't find an example input
file.  I HAVE read the manual several times (at least the parts that
seem relevant), but if I have missed it please point me to the
appropriate section -- but I would really prefer to see an input deck
that has actually worked in practice.

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Mike

Dr. Mike Falcetta