Intel fortran compiler and molpro

Jochen Küpper jochen at unc.edu
Fri Nov 16 16:14:20 GMT 2001

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:32:02 +0000 Paulo E Abreu wrote:

Paulo> I just want to point out that intel fortran compiler(ifc) is free for
Paulo> personal/academia use

Intel doesn't agree
  http://developer.intel.com/software/products/compilers/f50/linux/acadprice.htm

It's no-cost for some uses
,----[http://developer.intel.com/software/products/compilers/c50/linux/71non_linuxlic.htm]
| Noncommercial-Use License: If you are using the Materials under the
| control of a Noncommercial-Use license, you as an individual may use
| the Materials for only personal, noncommercial and research
| purposes.
`----
But that doesn't include academic research. As I understand it.

Paulo> (IMHO compilers for linux are really expensive pieces of
Paulo> software).

Agreed:(

Paulo> intel also provides optimized version of blas and lapack
Paulo> libraries (math kernel libraries MKL) for linux.

Yeah, but in my experience ATLAS is faster on many machines...
although I haven't checked for a few months.

Paulo> This was without doubt a smart move from Intel providing linux
Paulo> users with a fortran compiler for free!

Yeah, esp. considering that it also helps some non-Intel cpus a lot,
some more than Intel cpus:)) See
  http://amoras.2y.net/icc/.

Greetings,
Jochen
--
University of North Carolina                       phone: +1-919-962-4403
Department of Chemistry                            phone: +1-919-962-1579