CASPT2 calculation

Peter Knowles P.J.Knowles at bham.ac.uk
Mon Sep 17 08:24:05 BST 2001

The principal problem with your input is that the active space that
you have chosen breaks D3h symmetry. You would get on better with
closed,3,1 in the rhf, and occ,5,2,1 in the CASSCF. Note that the
difference depends on the coordinate axes chosen by the program, and
that you can get some hints on what to do by looking at the output
produced by the integral program, where the constitution of the
default core and valence spaces is printed.

There is in fact code that prevents orbital rotations that break full
point-group symmetry, and this code is switched on automatically by
default. Its control is described in the manual (see
http://www.tc.bham.ac.uk/molpro/molpro2000.1/doc/manual/node212.html )
but would not be relevant for this problem where in the Hartree-Fock
you have already enforced broken symmetry.

Peter

--
Prof. Peter J. Knowles
Email P.J.Knowles at bham.ac.uk  Phone +44-121-414-7472  Fax +44-121-414-7471