Error Exit - linearly dependent basis/illegal negative file offset

Dave Moore dtmoore at email.unc.edu
Mon Aug 26 08:43:45 BST 2002

Hi,

	I have had many similar messages in the past .. and, with one exception,
they were always due to an improperly constructed basis set .. especially
when dummy atoms were used.  Be very careful about your input symmetry when
doing geometry optimizations ... if an optimization move breaks symmetry,
then you will get an error, which is sometimes (but not always) the "BASIS
LINEARLY DEPENDENT OR WRONG S" error.

	The other time I have gotten the error is for single point calculations on
systems with large distances between atoms (6.0 Angstroms are more -- for
example in a PES scan) .. and in this case I think the error is due to a bug
in the symmetry determination routine of the program .. anyway, I was always
able to work around it by rewriting my Z-matrix .. although it was not
always obvious how to do it, so sometimes it took quite a long time to get
one that would work.

Hope this helps,

Dave Moore