alloc problem

Jacek A. Klos jakl at theochem.kun.nl
Tue Jan 22 10:15:40 GMT 2002

Check on your system hwat limits on memory usage are set with
command 'limit'.

Than try to do  'unlimit' command and than again 'limit'.
If values are the same you have to su to root and run 'dxkerneltuner'
(probably on console) to change kernel parameters.

I had to do it on DS20 with tru64 to make available 4GB of RAM for
calculations, because
limit was set to 1GB of RAM and there was no way to use more without
rebuilding the kernel.

unlimit command sets datasize to max_per_proc_data_size.
Probably you have set it to 1GB or 512MB.

After dxkerneltuner window pops up, you have to go to 'proc' options
and change value of max_per_proc_data_size and per_proc_data_size
to required values. per_proc_data_size is a limit of command 'limit' and
unlimit resets it to max_per_proc_data_size. So you can set
max_per_proc_data_size to your available RAM (in bytes) and
per_proc_data_size to lower value (in bytes). Than you can require whole
RAM using unlimit command before running job.

Apply changes in dxkerneltuner and reboot

Have a hope that it will boot :).

WARNING! This procedure is somewhat of dangerous sort and dxkerneltuner
will warning you too, so be careful what values are putting there and
before change write down values which were originally there.

I hope it will help.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Dr Jacek Klos
Institute of Theoretical Chemistry