direct vs. in core vs. disk i/o computations

Dave Moore dtmoore at email.unc.edu
Fri Sep 6 07:58:24 BST 2002

Hi,

Many people (including me), have asked this question in the past, and the
only solution I have ever found is the following (Quotation from my earlier
reply to another poster):

"Since MOLPRO does not seem to allow you to keep integrals in memory, even
when there is plenty of space, you have to trick MOLPRO into writing the
intergral table into memory by using a ramdisk.  Just in case you are
unfamiliar, a ramdisk is an area of memory that is mapped to have file
access like a disk drive ... sort of the inverse of virtual memory."

I have tried this approach to test a couple of simple examples, and it
seemed to work quite well (I actually used two ramdisks -- one each for
FILE's 1 and 4, but I don't this this is really necessary).  However, I did
not have a very large memory to map at the time, so I was not able to do
extensive testing.  Perhaps someone with more experience could chime in
here?

	Also, one caution is that I think you would need to be quite careful that
the space on the ramdisk was never exhausted ... hopefully this would result
only in you MOLPRO job crashing like with a normal disk ... but in theory
you could overwrite some other area of memory, causing more serious
problems.

Dave Moore
FOM Rijnhuizen
Edisonbaan 14