direct vs. in core vs. disk i/o computations

Peter Knowles P.J.Knowles at bham.ac.uk
Fri Sep 6 13:33:08 BST 2002

There isn't any facility within Molpro for general retention of
integrals in memory for all methods.  The philosophy has been that on
modern computer systems, it would be largely irrelevant, since many
operating systems efficiently cache the file system in memory, if that
memory is available. This is certainly true for linux; for example for
job bench/small3.com I see cpu/wall=95.0% if disks are used, and 96.3%
if /dev/shm is used, on a machine where the memory for the files is
not otherwise committed. This observation seems to apply also to other
systems for jobs that are small enough for the files to be carried in
memory; for example, see
http://www.molpro.net/molpro/benchmark2002/bench.cgi?frame=frame&view=small3&fields=mpp&fields=njobs&fields=wall&fields=total&fields=xhost&nompp=1

Of course if you're cramped for disk space but not memory, then that's a
different story.

Peter

--
Prof. Peter J. Knowles