linear dependent basis

Elena Jakubikova elena at lamar.ColoState.EDU
Tue Sep 24 22:46:12 BST 2002

Hello,

I am doing calculations with very large basis set that is nearly linearly
dependent and I am getting the  error message
"ERROR: BASIS LINEARLY DEPENDENT OR WRONG S" too, which is only
understandible.
However I am getting the message when the  smallest eigenvalue of S matrix is
smaller than 1d-4 rather than 1d-8. Is
there any way to change this value from 1d-4 to 1d-8 so I can proceed with
calculation? I understand that very small
eigenvalues of S matrix may cause numerical problems in the course of
calculation, but from the calculations I
have run with the same basis set using Gaussian I believe it is safe to
proceed.
I would appreciate any comments.

Elena Jakubikova
Department of Chemistry