Building Molpro for Alpha Linux

Peter Knowles P.J.Knowles at bham.ac.uk
Fri Sep 27 12:42:28 BST 2002

I have the impression that you can just forget about the -i8 flag. The
key thing is that type 'long' in C is actually compiled as 8
bytes. You should perhaps check this:
int main(){ printf("%d\n",(int)sizeof(long)); }

Peter

At Fri, 27 Sep 2002 13:34:37 +0200,
David Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Nick Wilson wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > The GNU c compiler should be sufficient, you don't need the Compaq c comiler.
> > If you change the CC line in CONFIG to
> > CC="gcc -i8"
> > then it should work.
> > Nick Wilson
> >

> I should have mentioned that I already tried this. I get an error from
> the preprocessor:
>
> cpp0: Invalid option -i8
>
> This was why I tried to switch to the compaq compiler.
>
> I wasn't sure if I could run it (gcc) without -i8 and still be free from
> the restrictions associated with i4 (active orbitals, file size ...).
>
> My thinking was that as most of the important stuff is in Fortran I
> could probably get away with it.
>
> Is this correct ?
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Dr. David Smith
> Department of Chemistry
> Ludwig Maximilians University
> Butenandt-Str. 5-13, D-81377 Munich
> Germany
> Tel.: +49 (0)89 2180 7740
> Fax.: +49 (0)89 2180 7738
> e-mail: David.Smith at cup.uni-muenchen.de

Prof. Peter J. Knowles
Email P.J.Knowles at bham.ac.uk  Phone +44-121-414-7472  Fax +44-121-414-7471
School of Chemical Sciences, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
WWW http://www.tc.bham.ac.uk/~peterk/