[molpro-user] ccsd(t) frequencies

Li, Jun Jun.Li at pnl.gov
Mon Aug 22 23:57:35 BST 2005

I am not sure if I fully understand your question, but in general one
has two possibilities:

(1) your geometry optimization locates a stationary point, which is not
a minimum.  Then you will really have some imaginary frequencies.

(2) your molecule is indeed optimized to its (local or global) minimum,
but the PES is so flat that you have very small REAL frequencies.  These
small frequencies are difficult to be calculated accurately and will
actually show as imaginary unless your geometry optimization reached
very tight convergence criteria (which then requires high accuracy in
the integrals and the SCF convergence).

Jun Li