[molpro-user] MULTI RESTART

Dr Seth OLSEN s.olsen1 at uq.edu.au
Tue Jul 26 02:39:46 BST 2005

Hi David,

It seems that at one point I saw in the manual an option to save
orbitals at every iteration.  Right now I can't seem to find it.  It
might be worth looking for.  In addition, perhaps it would work to
explicitly use the NATORB directive (if you are not already), perhaps
saving to a different record.

Alternatively, if the orbitals are in fact being saved, you should be
able to access them via MATROP after your mcscf exceeds its iterations.
 If you can't access them at the specified record, than this is
informative and implies that they aren't being dumped.  If they are
accessible, than you can output them to an ascii file and read them in
explicitly in the next job.  This is an often-overlooked feature of
molpro that I find quite useful (since the wfn file is binary, it is
system-dependent - so if you want to restart on another architecture for
whatever reason than you have to do this).  The orbitals can be saved
using the following deck (assuming orbitals are stored in 2140.2).

matrop
load,orbitals,orb,2140.2
write,orbitals,output_file.orb

they can then be read in before mcscf in the next job with:

matrop
read,orbitals,orbitals
include,output_file.com,1
save,orbitals,2140.2,orbitals

Note that if you use this option it helps to use 'mcscf' to call the
multi program, rather than 'multi'.  This is because 'multi' is also a
matrop command - your job will fail with a bunch of 'illegal command'
errors b/c the program doesn't realize you're calling the multi program.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Seth

ccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccms

Dr Seth Olsen, PhD
Postdoctoral Fellow, Biomolecular Modeling Group
Centre for Computational Molecular Science
Chemistry Building,
The University of Queensland
Qld 4072, Brisbane, Australia

tel (617) 33653732
fax (617) 33654623
email: s.olsen1 at uq.edu.au
Web: www.ccms.uq.edu.au

ccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccms