[molpro-user] Hard limits on CAS space sizes?

Dr Seth OLSEN s.olsen1 at uq.edu.au
Tue May 24 04:48:13 BST 2005

Hi Molpro-users,

Thank you, Mariusz, for your reply.  I agree with you regarding the nature of CASSCF calculations.  My intent regarding this calculation was to serve as a guide to the selection of orbitals (and an improved orbital set) for a reduced calculation with a selected (non-CAS) configuration set.  I cannot help but notice that for the molecule I am working with that the most relevant configurations would seem to consist of a subset of those that would be generated from single and double excitations out of a CAS(2,2) -like reference space.  Unfortunately, the molecule is too large to consider numerical differentiation of an MRCI wavefunction built upon CAS(2,2) or I would certainly be taking that route.

My plan to proceed after this large benchmark was to generate a subset of the CAS space that included all single and double excitations from the 20, 11, and 02 configurations within the HOMO-LUMO subspace. In this way the CAS(2,2) wavefunction would be correlated in a balanced way with the rest of the valence space (and perhaps beyond) without generating heaps of configurations with little weight in the final 2-state averaged wavefunction, or which affect the energy of both states in nearly identical fashion.    Since this would be done via the MULTI utility, I would thereby be able to extract analytic gradients.

That is, I was hoping to generate a configuration set in multi that looked somewhat like CAS(2,2) times valence MRCI (with all non-active orbitals cored).

Right now I'm trying to figure out what the best way  would be within molpro to generate this configuration set.  I had thought of doing a CAS(2,2) x MRCI, saving the configurations and then calling this record into a subsequent MULTI calculation (using a SELECT card).  Would this work?

Does anybody on the list have any insights into the best way to go about doing this?

Cheers,

Seth

ccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccms

Dr Seth Olsen, PhD
Postdoctoral Fellow, Computational Systems Biology Group
Centre for Computational Molecular Science
Chemistry Building,
The University of Queensland
Qld 4072, Brisbane, Australia

tel (617) 33653732
fax (617) 33654623
email: s.olsen1 at uq.edu.au
Web: www.ccms.uq.edu.au

ccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccms