[molpro-user] Gradients for CAS calculations

nmarshal at hermes.ccqc.uga.edu nmarshal at hermes.ccqc.uga.edu
Wed Apr 26 16:20:56 BST 2006

Dear Molpro users,

A coworker of mine and I are trying to perform a geometry optimization on
an open shell system with frozen core orbitals using CAS-SCF. I understand
that analytical gradients are not available for this type of calculation,
so we are attempting to use optg, numerical to compute the gradients by
finite differences instead. However, the calculation still fails with the
error message

 MCSCF GRADIENTS ONLY POSSIBLE WITH CLOSED-SHELL SCF FROZEN CORE ORBITALS
 ? Error
 ? FROZEN CORE ORBITALS NOT FOUND
 ? The problem occurs in FIND-ORB

I have put the relevant input sections below. Can anyone explain how to
perform this calculation using finite differences?

Thanks,

Nicholas Marshall
 basis
   sp,na,cc-pVDZ