[molpro-user] MOLPRO and CCSD(T)

Arvi Rauk rauk at ucalgary.ca
Fri Jan 13 22:35:01 GMT 2006

   We recently installed the latest MOLPRO and I ran my first CCSD(T)
calculation (on a test molecule, dimethylsulfide radical cation).
Although the run was about 5 times faster that with G03 with the same
geometry and basis set, the CCSD(T) energies were different (MOLPRO's is
higher by 0.002 au - the UHF energies are the same). Comparing the two
outputs, it appears that G03 uses all of the 19 valence unrestricted
orbitals as "active" but MOLPRO describes 9 valence orbitals as
"closed-shell" and only one orbital as "active".  Is this really the
source of the difference?  If so, is there any way to reproduce G03's
CCSD(T) results?  I've poured through the manual and can't see any way.
   Hope it's not too naive a question.  We've been doing a lot of
CCSD(T) calculations with G03 and obtained MOLPRO because of its
reputation for being significantly faster.  We'd obviously like to merge
the two sets of calculations.
   Arvi Rauk