[molpro-user] MCSCF Convergence and orbital saving.

Alexander Mitrushchenkov sasha at theochem.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Jun 20 15:49:38 BST 2007

Luke,

Sorry if I did not read carefully your post. Of course, thresholds are not
linked while global thresholds should (at least expected) to affect also
geometry optimization calls. I'll make a bug report, and eventually this be
fixed. What is sure, is that most of input is ignored (inside MULTI block)
when doing geometry optimization, apart from the very first run. If I
understand properly, this is to avoid jumps causing unphysical behavior.

With occupations, indeed, your specified them. Still, I've seen two commas in
your input, which is not correct if you mean saving orbitals. Correct would
be

orbital,5000.3

[or natorb,5000.3; for natural orbitals ]

(though note that you did not define file 3 to be permanent, so this record
would be lost in any case, did you mean 5000.2?). If you wish to save CI
vectors (which are not used in restart anyway I guess), then it is better to
use explicit form, like

save,ci=5000.2;

or if you wish to save orbital configurations (nothing to do with orbitals!)
then use

save,ref=5000.2;

Please note that any of these (ci or ref) implies the use of CSF CI instead of
determinant CI. Even though manual says that it will be turned on
automatically, it is better to specify explicitly, like

config,csf;

Most probably, what happened indeed in your case is that the two commas caused
the REF to be saved (obsolete form of input) switching on the CSF algorithm
which is  less efficient/require much more memory for coupling coefficients.
If this is the case, then I am afraid there is no way to deal with presently,
unless you have more powerful computer with more memory.

Cheers,

Sasha

--
Dr. Alexander Mitrushchenkov