[molpro-user] Syntax of symmetry command in MOLPRO 2009.1

Andy May MayAJ1 at cardiff.ac.uk
Tue Aug 25 09:20:00 BST 2009

Terry,

The 'SYMMETRY' internal variable is indeed the variable which is altered
by the:

[symmetry,options]

directive, so modifying with symmetry= is not recommended. Whilst it is
not recommended to use or modify this variable, actually you will find that:

symmetry='NoSym'

does work, although this may not be the case in the future so please
don't use this syntax. The reason you see the segfault without the quotes:

symmetry=NoSym

is because the program is expects non-quoted numbers to be numeric.

Furthermore, if you don't perform any quantum chemistry, the following
complete input will work just fine:

symmetry='hello world'
show,symmetry

Although, once again I would strongly recommend the choice of a
different variable name.

Best wishes,

Andy

Terry Frankcombe wrote:
> Hi Andy
>
> On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 08:45 +0100, Andy May wrote:
>> Terry,
>>
>> This is because you have made exactly the error which is in the manual
>> and being discussed. The equals sign should be a comma, i.e.:
>
> Certainly.  But why should this cause a segfault in multi?  It should be
> a no-op, surely?
>
> Ciao
> Terry
>

>> 2009.1 input:
>>
>>   ! uncommenting this (and removing NoSym form the geom) segfaults
>> symmetry,NoSym
>> geometry={ ! NoSym
>>
>> 2008.1 input:
>>
>>   ! uncommenting this (and removing NoSym form the geom) segfaults
>> !symmetry,NoSym
>> geometry={ NoSym
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> Terry Frankcombe wrote:
>>> Hi folks
>>>
>>> It just so happens that I've been fighting with this very thing!
>>>
>>> It gets worse though.  If I specify symmetry=NoSym then the multi
>>> program segfaults.  That's after a successful SCF calculation, in 2008.1
>>> and 2009.1 on two different architectures.  The geometry in my case is
>>> C1 (see below).  Specifying NoSym in the geometry block or letting
>>> molpro work out there's no nontrivial symmetry works fine in 2006.1 and
>>> 2008.1 (and 2009.1 for the latter case).
>>>
>>> Is there a special variable "symmetry" that's being clobbered or
>>> something?
>>>

>>> basis=VDZ
>>>   ! uncommenting this (and removing NoSym form the geom) segfaults
>>> !symmetry=NoSym
>>> geometry={ NoSym
>>>            O1
>>>            H1 O1 rOH1