[molpro-user] 0.1 h differences in HF energy with and without symmetry

Benj FitzPatrick benjfitz at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 26 18:22:54 GMT 2009

Hello,
I found convergence issues with the below molecule when using large basis sets
(> aug-cc-pvtz), and in trying to understand that I found that I get very
different HF energies (> 0.1 h) when symmetry is used (Cs) versus when nosym is
specified.  More specifically, nosym gives lower energies by more than 0.1h.  I
haven't noticed this problem with any of the 20 other intermediates in this
system.  I performed similar calculations using g03's ROHF and it gives the same
energy as I get without symmetry in molpro.  I also used MCSCF to look for
low-lying excited states, and there aren't any.  Is this just a problem case for
molpro's UHF/ROHF or is something more insidious going on?
Thanks,
Benj FitzPatrick
University of Chicago

 ***,rohf sp of int7 from c3h5o-int7-cis-cis-eq_opt-ccsd-avdz-vtight-a.log***
   memory,100,M
gthresh,oneint=1.d-12,twoint=1.d-12,zero=1.d-12

 hc2=1.09590208
 hc3=1.09184279
 hch3=116.45662125
 cc4=1.39830438