[molpro-user] Counterpoise correction for Na+He

Grant Hill jghill at wsu.edu
Mon Feb 8 17:45:42 GMT 2010

Dear Shengfu,

I think you may have misunderstood the previous suggestions. The frozen core approximation (the default in almost all single-reference post-SCF methods) is that only valence electrons will be correlated. Na+ has zero valence electrons so in this case the CCSD program has no electrons to do anything with.

One way to remedy this is with "all-electron" calculations, where the core electrons are correlated. This can be performed in Molpro by using the core directive in your CCSD block, the wf directive will not help in this case. Of course, most basis sets (such as aug-cc-pVDZ) also assume the frozen core approximation and do not contain the tight functions necessary for a balanced description of the correlation of the core electrons. This means you should also use an appropriate basis set, such as aug-cc-pwCVDZ.

I recommend that you read the following papers on core-valence basis sets as they illustrate the problem better than I can:

J. Chem. Phys. 103 (1995), 4572
J. Chem. Phys. 117 (2002), 10548

Correlation consistent basis set for Na that contain core-valence correlating functions have not yet been published, but I believe a paper on this is forthcoming.

HTH,

Grant