[molpro-user] convergence problems with RHF

Lee E.P.F. E.P.Lee at soton.ac.uk
Fri Jan 29 10:27:17 GMT 2010

Grant is correct. Looking at the occupied mos, a lot of them have large +ve mo energies, suggesting that it is a highly excited state at the last SCF iteration. I have no time to look at the mos in details. Nevertheless, my guess is that your basis set for non-U atoms are too poor. Consequently, e's get into mos of U instead of non-U mos.

Grant''s suggestion of improving the initial guess of the wavefunction is in the right direction. However, your system has C1 symmetry. Hence all mos can mix. Consequently, you can not use occ to fix the occupancies. My feeling is that if you do not improve yur basis set of the non-U atoms, you will get this kind of troubles. In general, the basis set used should be balanced. That is the U basis set and non-U basis sets should be of the same quality. Using imbalance basis set will get strange results.

Regards, Ed.