[molpro-user] Any option to visualize the vibrational modes and molecular orbitals

Benjamin Levine levine at chemistry.msu.edu
Wed Aug 31 13:47:46 BST 2011

Dear Mr. Reddy,
Molden and Molekel are two freely downloadable programs that will allow
you to visualize both vibrational frequencies and orbitals.  In order to
use them you will need to add a "PUT,molden" card to your input file
which will instruct Molpro to output a Molden file which can then be
opened by either of these programs.  You can find the syntax of the PUT
command in the Molpro manual.

One thing to be careful about is that either Molden or Molekel or both
don't always use the same ordering of the orbitals as they are outputted
by Molpro (particularly if you are using MCSCF).  It is important to
match the eigenvalues and occupation numbers presented in Molden and
Molekel with those in the Molpro output (as opposed to matching the
orbital indeces which may have changed) to make sure that you are
looking at the orbital in which you are interested.

All the best,
Ben

--
Benjamin G. Levine