[molpro-user] <S**2-Sz**2-Sz>

Peter Knowles KnowlesPJ at Cardiff.ac.uk
Fri Mar 25 10:16:48 GMT 2011

Yes, there is: the spin contamination is zero. The MRCI code uses the same orbitals for alpha and beta spin, and this implies that the many-electron basis set spans complete spin spaces. Because the CI ansatz is a linear matrix eigenvalue problem, the fact that S^2 commutes with the hamiltonian then guarantees that the eigenvector of the hamiltonian is also an eigenfunction of S^2.

Peter