[molpro-user] MRCI convergence problems with AlO

Lorenzo Lodi l.lodi at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Sep 29 15:57:12 BST 2011

Hello, in my group we are trying to compute the ground-state potential
energy curve for AlO using MRCI. Please find attached a minimal-size
input file and corresponding output. Starting from the 3rd iteration
MRCI complains that
?EXPECTATION VALUE AND EIGENVALUE NOT IDENTICAL

and eventually stops the execution saying:

CI VECTOR FOR STATE 1 DOES NOT OVERLAP SUFFICIENTLY WITH REFERENCE VECTORS
It may help to increase NSTATI, e.g., use OPTION,NSTATI=2

Can anybody explain briefly the meaning (and possible reason) for this
error?
We tried several reference spaces (all of the CAS type), increasing the
suggested NSTATI and/or using shifts but nothings makes this behaviour
go away.

Note that with the same reference space choices RS3 or NEVPT2 converge
without problems.

Any suggestion will be welcome!

Best regards,
Lorenzo