[molpro-user] CASSCF energies using FROZEN

Peterson, Kirk kipeters at wsu.edu
Sat Apr 13 17:59:09 BST 2013

Dear Lorenzo,

no, I don't believe this is correct.  If you check your outputs carefully, you'll see that when you use frozen those orbitals are also always
doubly occupied in all CSFs, just like closed.  The orbitals are just not optimized.  So if you use frozen instead of closed, the
energy should always be higher in the frozen case (if both have converged to the global minimum).  One can see this with the very simple input:

geom={
O  1  2.1322}
hf
{multi;frozen,2}
{multi;closed,2}

Using  closed,2;frozen,2  will give the exact same energy as   closed,0;frozen,2 or just frozen,2

regards,

-Kirk