[molpro-user] Intensity of Vibrational Frequencies

Guntram Rauhut rauhut at theochem.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Apr 26 13:04:42 BST 2013

Dear Debrashee Manna,

infrared intensities can only be computed for those methods, for which
analytical gradients are available. This is not the case for CCSD(T). In
principle there are several solutions to your problem:

1) You may switch from CCISD(T) to QCISD(T). Typically the deviations
are small, but it depends on the system. In that case your input should
work.

2) The 2nd option would be to compute the PES at the CCSD(T) level and
the dipole moment surfaces at the QCISD(T) level. Then you would need to
change your input to

hf
ccsd(t)
optg
{freq,symm=auto
print,low=50}

label1
{hf
start,atden}
ccsd(t)
etmp=_energy
{qcisd(t)
cphf,1}
energy=etmp

{surf,start1D=label1,sym=auto
  intensity,dipole=2
  disk,where=home,dump='molecule.pot'}
vscf
put,irspec,irspec.gnu

As the generation of the PES for the anharmonic calculations typically
is quite demanding, I always recommend to dump the PES to disk. For that
reason I also inserted the DISK directive into your input. You may have
a look into the manual.

Best wishes,

     Guntram

On 04/25/2013 02:29 PM, Debashree wrote:
> Hello!!
> I want to calculate vibrational frequencies along with their
> intensities using ccsd(t) method and i am using following options,
>

> hf
> ccsd(t)
> optg
> {frequencies,symm=auto
> print,low=50}
>
> label1
> {hf
> start,atden}
> {ccsd(t)
> cphf,1}
>
> {surf,start1D=label1,sym=auto
>   intensity,dipole=2}
> vscf
> put,irspec,irspec.gnu
>
> This is giving the frequency values but the intensity values are coming zero.
> Please help me out.
>
> With regards,
> Debashree Manna

  Prof. Dr. Guntram Rauhut