[molpro-user] non-integer atomic charges

Benjamin Levine levine at chemistry.msu.edu
Sun Apr 28 13:06:19 BST 2013

Dear Molpro-users,
I'm working on a problem that would greatly benefit from the assignment
of non-integer charges to specific atoms.  In a previous Molpro-user
discussion
(http://www.molpro.net/pipermail/molpro-user/2011-May/004406.html)
another user raised a similar question, and it was suggested to set the
charges of the atoms to zero and use lattice charges right on top of the
dummy centers to represent the non-integer charge.  This would allow
energy calculations, but if I am correct, this solution wouldn't allow
us to compute energy gradients with respect to the motion of the
non-integer-charged atoms, which is important in our application.  Might
there be a way to truly create custom atom types?  Thanks for your time
and help!

Ben

--
Benjamin G. Levine