[molpro-user] scf problem during optg

Werner Győrffy gyorffy at theochem.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Aug 5 09:58:17 BST 2013

Dear Pawel,

In a geometry optimization, tight convergence criteria should be used
for the energy calculation to avoid noise in the gradients, and to be
able to converge the geometry optimization. In other words, a geometry
optimization might not converge with unreliable gradients. So it is in
principle the correct strategy not to proceed further with a geometry
optimization if the energy is not converged. [For some methods, Molpro
can however continue a geometry optimization even if the energy
calculation is not converged (controlled by the user or automatically by
the program)].

In correlated electronic structure theory methods, a calculation may be
performed without any problem even if the the SCF calculation is not
converged. Depending on the method, the correlated energy value can of
course have a very large error in this case.

Note that the lack of convergence in SCF may indicate that the
theoretical model for your wave function is wrong (spin, symmetry,
charge, initial guess for orbitals, reasonable starting geometry, etc.).

Please also check "Handling difficult cases: When SCF does not converge"
in the User's Manual.

Regards,

Werner Gyorffy.