[molpro-user] Problem regarding IRC with method QSDPATH

G Mahesh gmahesh at students.iiserpune.ac.in
Fri Aug 23 07:29:26 BST 2013

Dear Ramon,

I thought, the problem arising in IRC was because of negative Hessian
eigenvalues but, now I realized that's not the case. Earlier I have done
transition state optimization with Hessian calculated by forward
differences and IRC with central differences so that, it was giving 4
negative Hessian values in the case of IRC.

Now I ran IRC with calculating Hessian using forward differences and  all
positive Hessian eigenvalues except one got too. Even now also surprisingly
giving the same error which I got earlier. Here, I also have posted the
echo of output having error.

***********Partial out put************

 Geometry optimization using default procedure for command MULTI

 Geometry written to block  1 of record 700

 Generated   9 symmetrical displacements

 Numerically approximating hessian using forward gradient differences

 Task list generated. Total number of displacements:      9

    5 tasks completed, CPU=1h 3m 15s Elapsed=1h 10m 13s

 Numerical MULTI000 hessian completed. CPU-time:  6877.21 sec, Elapsed:
7645.49 sec

 MULTI hessian saved to record  5300.2

 Quadratic Steepest Descent -  Reaction Path Following using exact Hessian

 Hessian eigenvalues:    -0.012734  0.000786  0.011948  0.018747  0.075415
0.141616  0.303108  1.646533  1.810536

 IDIR= 1 requested but starting point is not a stationary point. Gradient
norm=  0.98D-04  Step length=  0.36D-01
 ? Error
 ? Not a stationary point
 ? The problem occurs in QSDPATH1