[molpro-user] DF-DFT-SAPT fails with PBE0 hybrid functional

Andreas Hesselmann andreas.hesselmann at fau.de
Mon Jun 2 17:06:17 BST 2014

Dear Leonid,

it is true that in JCP 122 (2005) 014103
we also show results using the PBE0AC
functional combined with the ALDA kernel
for the response calculations. These
are displayed in e.g. table III with the
acronym PBE0AC/ALDA. In this table you can
see, however, also two columns denoted
as DeltaPBE0AC and DeltaLPBE0AC, the former
using a hybrid-exact-exchange-ALDA kernel instead,
and the latter a local exact exchange potential
in the monomer calculations. You can see in both
cases that this has a significant effect on the dispersion
interaction energy which is underestimated with
the PBE0AC/ALDA combination (simply due to the larger
HOMO-LUMO gap with hybrid funcs). This is why this has
been switched off now in DF-DFT-SAPT calculations with
Molpro.

If you insist on using it, you can use
the option NLEXFAC=0.0 in the program
so that Molpro thinks your input orbitals
originate from a standard GGA functional.

Best wishes,
Andreas

E-Mail: andreas.hesselmann at chemie.uni-erlangen.de