[molpro-user] Molpro 2012.1.13 installation comments

Andy May MayAJ1 at cardiff.ac.uk
Fri Jun 6 09:05:21 BST 2014

Scott,

Thanks for the comments.

1. I agree that it can be easy to omit -mppbase (or instead a -auto
option), a check has been put in and will pushed out in the next updates
(2012.1.1 and 2010.1.42). I should mention that in future Molpro
versions a new configure based on autoconf will be used where the
information in -mpp, -mppbase and -auto* options have been merged into a
single unified option.

2. The intention of -prefix option is to be able to give a top-level
directory under which Molpro will install in a uniquely named directory.
So for example one can specify '-prefix /opt/molpro' to both 2010.1 and
2012.1 and after 'make install' find:

/opt/molpro/molpros_2010_1_Linux_x86_64_i8
/opt/molpro/molpros_2012_1_Linux_x86_64_i8

(in a similar way to which many compilers allow you to have >1 version
installed). To run you then need to use:

/opt/molpro/molpros_2010_1_Linux_x86_64_i8/bin/molpro

or setup PATH to include this.

The INSTBIN variable is an alternative to setting up PATH, eg.
specifying INSTBIN=/usr/local/bin will essentially do:

ln -s /opt/molpro/molpros_2012_1_Linux_x86_64_i8/bin/molpro
/usr/local/bin/molpro

after installing. It's prompted for when installing from binary since
it's more likely that a binary user will just want one version on the
system and that it should be in the default PATH. If you want to set it
during configure for a source code install you can use:

-var INSTBIN=/my/path

3. We have now implemented some release notes. They are automatically
generated by extracting any mention of a bug from the commit messages
that comprise any update (the commit messages themselves are generally
not helpful). After logging into the Molpro website there is now a link
below the 'Download' choice to the release notes. Although mostly auto
generated, anything significant will also be added manually.

In terms of announcing updates we currently don't do this, but are
thinking about it. If you have any thoughts on the best method to do
this please let us know.

Best wishes,

Andy