[molpro-user] Radical Cation Wavefunction

Hans-Joachim Werner werner at theochem.uni-stuttgart.de
Sat Apr 16 12:27:42 CEST 2016

Hi,
the Hartree-Fock program at least tries to find the lowest state and to determine the state symmetry automatically. But this is based on orbital energies and there
is no guarantee that the correct state is always found. The meaning of the state symmetries is explained in the manual, see also the quickstart manual for examples. For example, in a linear molecule oriented along the z-axis, a Sigma^+, state has symmetry 1, Pi_x, Pi_y (symmetries 2,3), Sigma^- symmetry 4, Delta_{x^2-y^2} symmetry 1, Delta_{xy} symmetry 4 (but note that some of these states require more than 1 Slater determinant, and then mcscf muust be used for a proper description).
Best regards
Joachim Werner
---
Prof. Dr. Hans-Joachim Werner