[molpro-user] Calculation of C6 and C9 dispersion coefficients in propag_util.F and new_propag_util.F

Paul Jerabek paul.jerabek at chemie.uni-marburg.de
Fri Dec 23 01:43:43 CET 2016

Dear Molpro community,

I'm interested in calculation non-additive dispersion coefficients for
homo-nuclear, closed-shell three-body systems. They can be calculated
from the multipole polarizabilities:

Z_{l_1, l_2, l_3} = (1 / \pi) * int_0^{\infty} (alpha^{l_1}(iw)
alpha^{l_1}(iw) alpha^{l_1}(iw))

[ Equation (13) in https://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0505131 ]

To my understanding, one requires the dynamic multipole polarizabilities
for that and needs to integrate over them.

Molpro provides such an functionality via

{CCSD;  CPROP,PROPAGATOR=1,EOMPROP=1, PROP_ORDER=3, HIGHW=0, DISPCOEF=12}

which I basically understand: Calculation of polarizabilities for
different imaginary frequencies and then Laguerre-Gauss summation with
certain weights.

Molpro even calculates the C_6 and C_9 coefficients (which are the
two-body and three-body dipole-dipole and dipole-dipole-dipole
interactions, respectively) and I thought it would be a good idea to try
to reproduce those numbers and then go to higher interactions (like e.g.
dipole-dipole-quadrupole).

For my attached example of Argon, the Molpro results

C_6 = 66.0
C_9 = 535.9

are in the right ball-park compared to literature:

C_6 =  61.833-64.543  [Ref: Table IV in
http://aip.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1063]/1.463012]
C_9 =  484.2-521.7  [Ref: Table V (Z_{111} * 3 because of the
definition) http://aip.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1063/1.463012]

But here the problems start: I don't really understand why the C_6 and
C_9 coefficients are calculated the way they are!

By looking into the source of the modules

src/eom/propag_util.F
src/eom/new_propag_util.F

I could deduce that

C_6 = 2/3 * w0 * 1/PI * Sum[ (alpha_xx+alpha_yy+alpha_zz)^2 *
weighting_factor * 1/((1+x)^2) ]

C_9 = 2/9 * w0 * 1/PI * Sum[ (alpha_xx+alpha_yy+alpha_zz)^3 *
weighting_factor * 1/((1+x)^2) ]

(with w0=0.3 <- took my a while to find this!)

and then I could reproduce the numbers.

But how does this relate to the usual definitions? E.g., for C_6 it
should be something like

C_6 = 3/PI * int_0^{\infty} (alpha^{a}(iw) alpha^{b}(iw))

[Eq. (26) in http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.chemrev.5b00533]

I understand that there is some averaging over the components of the
polarizabilities involved, but I cannot figure out what's going on in
these equation used in the Molpro module.

Help would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance and best wishes,

	Paul

--
Dr. Paul Jerabek
Schwerdtfeger Group, Centre for Theoretical Chemistry and Physics

--
Dr. Paul Jerabek
Fachbereich Chemie, AK Frenking, Theoretische Chemie

Phone: +49-(0)6421-28-27001