[molpro-user] Mixed derivatives in Numerical Hessian

Leonid Shirkov leonid.shirkov at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 16:12:03 CET 2017

Dear Colleagues,

in some specific cases, the current accuracy of the numerical hessians
is not enough, e.g. for very low frequency torsional vibrations (~50cm-1).
The CCSD(T) freq analysis gives imaginary values instead of the real ones
for the lowest modes.  The solution is to find manually the hessian in
the internal coordinates
and then find the eigenvalues of the GF matrix, but that is a lot of work.

If MP2 is used for such cases, then there are no imaginary frequencies.
Do I understand correctly, that for MP2 freq analysis the hessians are found
by differentiating the analytical MP2 gradients?

Using the analytical gradients for highly accurate methods like
CCSD(T) would probably resolve the problem,
but they are not currently available in Molpro.

Best regards,
Leonid